Q. What do I need to bring to the first meeting?

You should bring your forms of identification. I suggest you also talk to your partner and begin to consider how you wish the ceremony to feel, and how you see the the wedding day unfolding.

Q. What documentation is required to be married in Australia?

Marital Status Documents are required;
Never married: Birth Certificates, passport and form of ID (license)
Divorced: Birth Certificates & Divorce Papers (Decree absolute)
Widower or Widow: Birth Certificate & Death Certificates

Q. What form of ID do I need to provide?

As of 2015 an Australian passport is considered the best form of ID. If you do not have one of these you must provide your birth certificate and a current license as a form of visual identification.

If you were born overseas and your birth certificate and all records of your birth have been destroyed you can provide a passport from a country other than Australia, which shows your date and place of birth, or you may complete a Statutory Declaration.

Q. What are the Age Requirements?

You must be over the age of 18 to be married in Australia, except in limited circumstances where one party is between 16 and 18 years old and wishes to marry a person over 18. In this case you must have the permission of a Judge or magistrate as well as parental consent.

Q. What is the Notice of Intended Marriage Form?

In order to be married you must lodge a “Notice of Intended Marriage” form at least one month and one day and no more than 18 months prior to the wedding day. The NOIM form is valid for 18 months from lodgement with Celebrant.

You will need to produce:

An Australian passport or a birth certificate for each person (an extract or full copy) with a current license. If born outside Australia – an overseas passport showing date and pace of birth or a statutory declaration.

If previously married – divorce – decree absolute.

With the death of previous husband or wife – death certificate. If either party have changed their name by deed poll, the official ‘change of name’ document must be produced.

All documents need to be in English or have an official translation of the document into English. If you require documents to be translated then visit naati.com.au

All Certificates must be original or certified copies. Photocopies are not acceptable.

Under the “Marriage Act” these documents must be produced before the marriage can take place. If you are not lodging the NOIM in person you will also need to send me copies of the documents you will be producing when I meet you before the wedding. This will allow me to verify that there will be no problems that need to be rectified close to your wedding day.

Q. Where can I obtain a “Notice of Intended Marriage” form?

You can obtain a ‘Notice of Intended Marriage’ (NOIM) directly from me. I can post the form to you if you contact me with your contact details. The form can be collected from an Australian Embassy, Australian High Commission or Court House.

You will need to complete the front section in full [page 3 on the download form] and only the top section on the back [top of page 4 on download form] before you return the completed form to me. At this time I will also discuss with you your ceremony selections and provide you with choices of vows, readings, etc. You may look these over at your leisure.

Q. What other forms need to be completed?

From 14: Each party to an intended marriage must make a declaration before the authorized celebrant as to their conjugal status and belief that there is no legal impediment to the marriage. These declarations must be made prior to the marriage being solemnized, and should occur as close to the ceremony as possible.

Form 15: This is the certificate of marriage that I will authorize to the bride and the groom on the day of the ceremony.

Form 16: This is the official marriage certificate that is sent to Births, Deaths and Marriages. This will be sent with the form 14 with your declarations and will be sent to Births, Deaths and Marriages within 14 days of the ceremony.

Q. Who can be a witness?

Two adult persons must have witness the vows and sign the official papers after the ceremony must also sign and give their full names.  They must be over the age of 18 years.